THE ORIGIN AND HISTORY of the club
- Inaugural Meeting held Sunday 20th April 1997 at Papamoa Sports and Recreation Centre, Gordon Spratt Reserve.
- This meeting was attended by 52 interested people.
- Mike Molen and Terry Youngman spoke to the meeting regarding the need for a bowling green in Papamoa.
- Costings were provided with a grass green $50,000 to $60,000.
- An artificial green was $100,000 to $120,000
- Ground adjacent to the Sports and Recreation Centre Clubrooms had been set aside by the council for 2 greens. The present multi-purpose room in the Recreation Centre to be extended so the Bowling Club could use it on bowls days.
- The indication from the meeting was to move towards a grass green.
- The first meeting of the steering committee was held on 30th April 1997. It was moved that the bowling club be formally registered as ‘Papamoa Sports Bowling Club’.
- Blair Gerrard to undertake the recording of the club’s history.
- At a meeting on 25th June 1997 it was agreed to apply to Bowls Bay of Plenty for the forms to register as a bowling club.
- The Papamoa Tavern agreed to sponsor the bowling equipment required to play bowls.
- A sub-committee was setup 17th October 1997 to create a constitution for the club.
- This was Jean Wright’s first involvement.
- A sausage sizzle was held at the Papamoa Plaza on 25th October. The takings were $739.00 with 20% going to the club.
- 29th October Jean Wright reported on her visit to Ohope Bowling Club to assess the artificial greens. The committee saw many advantages of an artificial surface.
- At a council meeting 15th December 1997 about 40 supporters heard the council reject a proposal by 10 to 5 votes for the sports ground development in Gordon Spratt Reserve.
- A special meeting 9th February 1998 was held to explain the constitution and why it was needed at all.
- At a meeting 27th May 1998 a letter was received from Te Puke Bowling Club offering the use of their greens until the club’s own green was available.
- Monday 15th June earthworks started in the reserve for tennis, netball and the bowling green.
- The first Opening Day was 20th March 1999.
- 1999 / 2000 season subscription was $80.00
- Club shirts were ordered, 25 at $35.00 each
Comments are closed.